Tuesday 9 October 2012

Find Motivation and Inspiration Wherever You Can!

Sometimes for us creative people, motivation and inspiration are difficult to come across.  Think of it as a "writer's block" for artistic people, for lack of a better term.  It is also important to remember that inspiration and motivation are two entirely different and separate things.

At the same time, we must also keep in mind that inspiration can be used at any time, on its own; however, motivation must have inspiration if it's to be acted on.  Yes, it is sometimes confusing.
I have been inspired many times to start a specific project, but lack the motivation to dive into it!  I have also been motivated to complete a project, but am not inspired by the materials enough to finish it.  Sucks, I know, but this is the way the creative mind works.

You will often hear artisans speak about their materials and how the material 'speaks' to them.  This is true in a way that to a non-creative person will sound like a  bunch of  gobblety-gook.  As an artisan myself, I know that the material does not speak to me in the literal sense of the word, but rather in a paradoxical way.  The colors may remind me of something important that has happened in the past or something that I want to happen in the future.  The shape of my beads might resemble something funny to me.  The mix of shape and color could inspire me by making me smile.  Sometimes it's as simple as that.  Sometimes it is not.  Sometimes, especially on a bad day, inspiration is impossible to find.

How do I bring myself out of the gray on a bad day?  Well, let me tell you.  I have an amazing group of friends (web or in person) who have been my inspiration at many a times.  I also know that to climb out of a bad mood, it is important that I find something creative to do, even if it is the most menial, arduous task, such as sorting out a bead soup mix and putting them back in their proper places.  Sometimes I can bead myself happy by picking up a really simple project or by using a purchased pattern.

Another huge thing that I find inspiring and motivating at the same time is teaching someone how to do what I love to do.  Not only will you have a partner 'in-crime' (so to speak) that you can bead with and talk to at the same time, but you will also find pleasure in teaching someone else how to make beautiful things, how to use their own creativity, and how to use that creativity to bead themselves out of a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment